Move to content area
menu

Taipei Confucius Temple Confucian Culture

A+ A-
Year
Event
1879
The first generation of the Taipei Confucius Temple began construction.
1881
The Dacheng Hall, Yi Gate and Chongsheng Shrine were finished.
1882
Construction began in Taipei City.
1884
The magnificent Taipei Confucius Temple was finally completed.
1892
Ceremonial objects were imported from Fu Jian, and musicians and performers who understood the rites were hired to come to Taipei to teach.
1894
Confucian Ceremony held for the first time in Taipei.
1895
The Japanese military occupied the Taipei Confucius Temple.
1907
The Japanese tore down the temple to build the Taipei First Girls High School.
1925
In Feb, the Taipei Confucius Temple Construction Preparation Office was established. In Mar, Chen Pei-ken donated 72,000 square feet of farm land, In Oct, Wang Yi-shun was hired as Chief Engineer. In Dec, Koo Hsien-jung bought and donated 36,000 square feet of land.
Koo Hsien-jungKoo Hsien-jung
1927
A ceremony was held for laying the main beam of the Dacheng Hall, and work began on the Yi Gate.
Wang Yi-shunWang Yi-shun
1929
The Dacheng Hall was completed.
1931
The Chongsheng Shrine, the Yi Gate and the side-buildings were completed. Confucius birthday was celebrated in Taipei for the first time in over thirty years. The construction was temporarily halted due to lack of funds.
1935
Materials were bought and workers were hired to continue the construction.
1939
The Ling Xing Gate was the first completed, followed by the Li Gate, Yi Gate, Hong Gate, Pan School, Pan Pond and Wan Ren Palace Wall. Construction was finished.
1940
The Japanese ordered an end to traditional Confucius Ceremony, and Japanese Shinto Ceremony held in the temple.
1946
After the retrocession of Taiwan, the Qing system of Confucius ceremony resumed.
1952
The Government announced that the Confucius Ceremony would be held on September 28 by the Western calendar.
1956
Minglun Hall completed
1968
Confucius ceremony amendment, adopted ritual system in the Ming dynasty.
1971
Donated the temple to the Government.
  • 1
Website Satisfaction Survey